Publisher: AK Press
Released: October 20, 2015
The lines of oppression are already drawn. The only question is, Which side are you on in the struggle against the violence that is white supremacy and policing? Taking Sides supplies an ethical compass and militant map of the terrain, arguing not for reform of structurally brutal institutions but rather for their abolition. Its thirteen essays are sharp interventions that take particular aim at the role of nonprofits, “ally” politics, and “peace police” in demobilizing rebellions against hierarchical power. The authors offer tools to hone strategies and tactics of resistance, and hold out the promise of robust, tangible solidarity across racial and other lines, because in the battle for systemic transformation, there are no outside agitators.
PRAISE FOR TAKING SIDES
"Taking Sides is arriving right when we need it, a tool to infuse complex contemporary movement conversations with useful accounts of our movement histories and insightful analysis about how we practice solidarity. It brings deep thinking about recent flash points into ongoing dialogues about leadership, strategy, and infrastructure in ways that shed new light on difficult questions. Taking Sides is a sharp, brilliant tool for activists on the ground." —Dean Spade, author of Normal Life: Administrative Violence, Critical Trans Politics, and the Limits of Law
"From the arresting title through thirteen brilliant essays, this reader is a gem. Alliances and the problem with ally politics, decolonization demands, a defense of riots, exposing gender violence, fighting back against police violence, and contesting white supremacy are among the timely issues presented in militant terms. The diversity of the authors gives depth to First Nations, African American, and immigrant views of the North American reality. This promises to be a handbook for every social justice activist." —Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, author of An Indigenous Peoples’ History of the United States
* * *
- Brave Motherfuckers: Reflections on Past Struggles to Abolish White Supremacy | Michael Staudenmaier
- The Poor Person’s Defense of Riots: Practical Looting, Rational Riots, and the Shortcomings of Black Liberalism | Delio Vasquez
- Decolonize Together: Moving beyond a Politics of Solidarity toward a Politics of Decolonization | Harsha Walia
- Dangerous Allies | by Tipu’s Tiger A Critique of Ally Politics | M.
- Accomplices Not Allies: Abolishing the Ally Industrial Complex | Indigenous Action Media
- Coconspirators | Neal Shirley and Saralee Stafford
- Outside Agitators | J. B.
- We Are All Oscar Grant(?): Attacking White Supremacy in the Rebellions and Beyond | Finn Feinberg
- Not Murdered and Not Missing: Rebelling against Colonial Gender Violence | Leanne Simpson
- Spread the Miracle: Abolish the Police | Anarchist Jews
- In Support of Baltimore; or, Smashing Police Cars Is Logical Political Strategy | Benjamin Hart
- Solidarity, as Weapon and Practice, versus Killer Cops and White Supremacy | Cindy Milstein